Thursday, January 1, 2009

Exhibition Update

Things are slow, but they'll get done. I was wondering if I should attempt to do something special in honor of those killed and injured recently in Gaza on here, but it wouldn't be enough. I recently sat down and tried to translate a list of the first 187 victims killed and identified in Gaza for my friends on facebook who are interested but don't read Arabic, and it's overwhelming. If you have a facebook, feel free to add me and we can talk about what's been going on. But I don't have any huge, grandstanding gestures to make this better; I don't think anyone does.

Right now I'm in the process of collecting all of the finished work and getting those pesky titles, captions and photographers' statements. 

Here are a few picture's of Zoriah's that are not going into the exhibition, but should be seen. For those of you who don't know, Gaza was besieged before the recent air raids. Al Jazeera lost their minds, but I don't know if the rest of the world media really addressed the issue beyond a soundbyte. One of the biggest consequences of that siege is that Gazans now are in serious want of basic healthcare items and medicines. Now, with the recent air raids including the bombing of a medical supplies facility and 400+ dead and 2000+ injured, that coincidental lack of medicine and capacity to treat coupled with whatever the hell Hamas is doing at any given moment that is resulting in the injured not getting to Sinai is resulting in a debilitating medical crisis. 

Here are Zoriah's photos, taken in hospitals in Gaza during the medical crisis in 2006.

Click here to see the rest of the Gaza Medical Crisis photo story.







No comments: